Friday 14 December 2018

A season On Draken

So in my continuous search for sustainable work in the field of life I love, I took a contract working on the Draken Harald Harfagre.  Don't get me wrong, I have an amazing, well paying career as a Plant Superintendent which affords me a very comfortable life.  But a realization that we are conditioned at an early age to work for the machine and always look to the future to follow our dreams...  Where do you think Bull Shit expressions like, "waiting for your ship to come in" or "good things come to those who wait." come from?!  

  That second one is the worst expression and a prime example of the conditioning we are taught. 

Why do we set a goal and then take the long way around?  So many have jobs or careers to cover their bills but hate their job?  Just so that one day we can maybe realize a dream one day?  Wait till we're retired to start?  Why not make daily decisions with your dream as your goal? 

A few years I made this mind change.  When I was out shopping, see a great big TV..  Man that would be nice, but can I fit that in my sailboat?  No?  Move on.. Keep doing that and that long twisted turning path to your dream starts straightening out.  Now I live at least 6 months a year in the sun, surrounded by palm trees.  Its a good life.  Last piece of the puzzle was to utilize my skills as an engineer to take contracts for the summers so I can adventure all winter.  

In came Draken..  She is a tough ship to work on.  I was hired on as the Chief Engineer in 2016 and enjoyed a great season in 2018 as well.  The 2018 season saw us sailing the East Coast of the USA from Mystic Seaport to Norfolk Virginia and back.. Check it out HERE





What an experience this ship is.. It is famous with thousands of people in each port yelling and clapping as we come into port..  What a surreal feeling.. Never been asked for autographs before until this ship.  I love the energy..  I love the people.. 



The crew is largely made up of volunteers with a core crew of between 7 and 10..  The other 20ish crew is volunteers from all different walks of life.  This makes life a little tough in a few ways...  The rig is a traditional square rig weighing over 3000lbs.  and the largest rig like it in the world.  The training as crew come and go for their 2 or 4 week legs means constant training.  











But also, the hardest part is the relationships we make..  We make connections and then before we know it, a new group of volunteers shuffle through all wild eyed and excited.  The energy is amazing..  But that is a sailor's life right?  Always saying, "see you later."











This ship is built like no other..  As the chief Engineer, I am in charge of all the more, non-traditional parts of the ship..  Means at times 12-14 hour days..  But I love it and I will continue on with it.
 



















With Draken Harald Harfagre, we have some huge plans for the near future

1 comment:

  1. I miss you but I am so very happy for you my dear friend that you are living your dreams :)
    Xoxo
    J

    ReplyDelete